cart SHOPPING CART You have 0 items
SELECT CURRENCY

Discussion Forums

Search forums
Forum Index > Rifles general discussion > Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)

Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)

@ 08:10 pm (GMT)

Alvaro Piqueras Alonso-Lamberti

Hi all;

I´m worried about my bolt. Rifle is a rem 700 sendero, chambered in 300 wm. Just about 45 rounds through it, breaking the barrel as Nathan described in his article. About 20 factory rounds, and some reloads using 208 amax and RWS once-fired, full sized brass.

I have occasional problems cycling the bolt: the bolt raises esy, but it´s difficult just to initiate the movement to extract the case. This only happen a few times, all the powder charges being the same (no hot load).

I have no problems with my shellholders while reloading, but a close inspection of he case rim show some marks produced during manufacturing (?) or the first shot (bought the brasses used). The bolt face shows some brass burrs, as you can see in the photos.

But i´m more worried about the bolt... I see some defects and want to know if they are normal or abnormal. I bought the rifle new, so can ask to be repaired or returned.

Will try to explain the best i can, but for sure, the images speak for themselves, and of course better than me! (Note: I clean the bolt with a paper towel, so you can see some paper fibers)

A flattened rough spot in the out side of the bolt head, wich protrudes a little over the head. Lugs that seem to need to be lapped (few contact area).

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030376.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030381.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030386.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030395.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030394.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030393.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030397-1.jpg.html

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/apiqueras/media/P1030396.jpg.html

The rifle didn´t perform as well as i spect (some double grups -don´t attributable to the scope mount- and 1,25 MOA groups), but i´m starting tests (haven´t checked speeds as i forget to bring the chrono to the range). I´m also training myself holding that forearm! :)

Any advice or opinion will be appreciated. I can post more photos or descriptions if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

@ 08:15 pm (GMT)

Alvaro Piqueras Alonso-Lamberti

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Another try to post the photos... Hope this work now!

@ 09:01 pm (GMT)

joshua sutcliffe

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Hi Alvaro you may want to have a read of this thread

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resources/Discussion+Forums/x_forum/18/thread/1713.html
@ 09:26 pm (GMT)

trevor savage

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
send it back and tell them to replace the rifle.
@ 02:09 pm (GMT)

Alvaro Piqueras Alonso-Lamberti

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Quote:
Hi Alvaro you may want to have a read of this thread

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resources/Discussion+Forums/x_forum/18/thread/1713.html

Hi Joshua, thanks for the link. I have readed your thread but didn´t remember it now.

I think the best I can do is go to the shop and ship it back to the importer.

What i want to know it´s if i should ask for a new one, or if it´s possible to fix it.

Please, can you tell me the serial number of your rifle? Mine is RR 45867 B... maybe the same batch?

Adding more info... I don´t have here my reloading notes, but COAL with the 208 AMAX is slightly less that the magazine. Maybe between 1 to 2 mm less.

And Ihave found a very small burr at the muzzle crown. Very small, but if i pass my nail over it, I can feel it and "snaps".
@ 04:38 pm (GMT)

Nathan Foster

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Hi Alvaro, sounds like primary extraction. If it is primary extraction, you will find that if you lift the bolt, you cannot draw the bolt back until you lift the bolt an extra few mil at which point you hear a click.

Primnary extraction is achieved at the rear of the bolt, where the top of the handle cams against the 30-45 degree cut out at the rear of the action (look behind your scope base). This has nothing to do with the bolt head- thou we always tend to worry about the bolt head.

If the lugs are lapped, this primary extraction problem will be made worse.

The rifle may need to be sent back so that the bolt handle can be removed and set forwards a half millimetre.

The file marks you photographed are normal. This was done to remove the protusion of the press fit pin that holds the extractor in place.

You may want to discuss having the locking lugs lapped before resetting the bolt handle (that said, the importer may simply swap the rifle out).

You have had a tough run with rifles this last year Alvaro but do not lose hope. I have seen folk go through the same troubles or worse with the most expensive rifles. Be patient and work through it with the importer.

If you are having problems with extraction after primary extraction has occurred, it may be a chamber burr. This will need to be polished out. Again, this is a job for the importer (they will hopefully have an inhouse smith).

I would need to see a close up of the muzzle to discern the nature of the muzzle burr and what needs to be done with this. Sharp edges at the muzzle normally wear away during the break in, especially if using maroon scothbrite during break in. Cleaning up the muzzle is a minor job but you should mention your concerns to the gun store / importer.
@ 05:17 pm (GMT)

joshua sutcliffe

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Alvaro, my serial number is far from yours RR 06###B

Id have a close look at the extracted cases for signs of chamber burrs, also i assume that the sticking bolt is only sticking with fired cases and not on unfired or empty chamber?

My Sendero also had a small burr on the muzzle and it shot alot better after re-crowning. My advice is if the rifle shoots accurately send it back to importer with some fired cases to fix the extraction problem and possibly re crown.
If you are in a hurry you may want to take it to a local gunsmith with a good reputation.
@ 05:29 pm (GMT)

Alvaro Piqueras Alonso-Lamberti

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Thanks all for your responses, specially to Nathan who was having a xmas break!

I´m talking with the importer´s smith, so i hope that everything can be fixed or the rifle replaced.

Here are some pics of the muzzle burr... It´s difficult to take a good photo. You can also see some dented marks arround the crown (last photo) and a mark in one rifling (first photo).

I have take a few photos of fired cases... Some marks can be seen. Also powder/burning residues around half part of the neck.. maybe too low pressures (not full obturation)?

Will keep you posted about what happens.

Thanks again!
@ 06:19 pm (GMT)

Nathan Foster

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
That muzzle definitely needs a clean up on a lathe. The rough outer edge would have been OK but somebody has mishandled the barrel, bumped it when removing it from the lathe or something to that effect.

Just patiently work through it with the importers smith Alvaro. It is very disappointing but if the importer charges the job back to Remington, Remington will back track the job and correctly allocate boot to ass so that other end users don't have to be put through this.
@ 07:18 pm (GMT)

Alvaro Piqueras Alonso-Lamberti

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Hi All;

After a few days, the importer finally reply my mail. They told me to send the rifle, so they can check it.

Will let you know how this ends...

Cheers!
@ 06:50 pm (GMT)

Alvaro Piqueras Alonso-Lamberti

Re: Rem 700 sendero bolt (problems?)
Hi all!

For what it worths, things seem to go wrong... Hope this help someone, but first, hope no one get in this troubles.

I think the best way to keep you posted is pasting the mail I have send one minute ago to remington customer service.

Thanks all for your help... will let you know what Remington tell...

Good morning;

I feel a bit sad about writing this mail. I bought a brand new remington 700 sendero VFII, chambered in 300WinMag in april, 2013. I have some problems with it, as i will explain in the email, and, after talk about that problems with the importer, Borchers SA, and send they the rifle for repair, I get no solutions or reparation.

Let me explain the whole process. I apologize for my engish mistakes, and for the long mail, but it´s better to tell the whole story.

I bought the rifle in a gun store called "Armeria Alvarez", in Madrid, in april 2013. I have some problems with my "weapons license" (it expired), so i have to wait for some months to get the rifle (as i couldn´t get it registered). After that, I moved to Galicia. So with my young baby (who was born in february), the move to galizia,etc i have no chance to fire and test the rifle. Finally, I set a scope on it and go to the range to test in and brake the barrel in. I became discouraged, as i have some problems (explained in a few lines).

So, I talk to the gun store and they invite me to talk directly with Borchers. I agree, and call them. After explain the problem to Mr Alex, he tell me to write a mail so the tech departament can study this problems. I wrote Borchers on january, 2, 2014. I will translate (as best as i can), word by word, the mail that i send (please let me know if you want a copy of any of the mails or doccuments refered in this email).

"[intro/happy new year wishes/explanation of conversation with mr. alex]
I will explain the problems that i found on the rifle, wihich i consider not acceptable in a rifle, even more being a high end brand, wich is supossed to deliver high accuracy. The barrel has approximatly 50 rounds down it, most of them shooted in the range, breaking the barrel in and sightening the scope.

At the end of the email, you can find some photos that shows, as best as i can, those problems.

1- first of all, sometimes it´s difficult to extract the fired brass from the chamber. I doesn´t happen every shot, but happen sometimes. After firing, the bolt lever is lifted with no effort, but it´s very difficult to start the rear movement to extract the fired brass. I can do it after closing the bolt again and lift the lever up fast, or giving it a "punch" with the palm of my hand. All of that, made me suspect that this could be a primary extraction problem. i mean, there is a misadjustment between the bolt/lugs and action.

2- For that or another reasons, there are plenty of brass burrs in the bolt face.

3- Bolt head have clearly signs of grinding. I understand that this mark was done to remove the protusion of the press fit pin that holds the extractor in place and, even they don´t seem to be concerning, i think that are excessive, and, in any case, bigger that those that showed the other rem 700 bolts I own or have seeing.

4- The fit of the locking lugs in the action are deficient. One of them (upper one) barely contacts 50% of the surface, when the other (lower one) barely shown marks. This can be easy fixed lapping the lugs, but this will increase the problem of the "number 1" paragraph (if, indeed, this is a primary extraction issue).

5- Some of the fired brasses shown bright spots wich can be the result of an improper cutted chamber, or a chamber that needs to be poolished.

6 - The muzzle crown has a big burr. Even more, in general, it showns some kind of small burrs and tooling marks which has nothing to do with the "target rown" that Remington claim.

I think this is all. I hope you understand my worryes about the rifle, as I expected to shoot accurately at long range and this is not possible now, as i´m getting 5/4 MOA at 110 yd (i´m amodest shooter, but i gets sub-moa groups easily with other rifle that i own) and, and i can´t be confident if i need to take a second shoot while hunting, because of the extraction problems.

I entreaty you to tell me what we can do to fix this problems, and please take care while doing it, as I have made a big investiment in that combo (optics, bases,...) and I hope you understand how frustrating is to get a high-end rifle and find all those probems.

About that respect, if the bolt dimensions needs to be modified, please take into consideration to lap the bolt lugs before, to make a better surface contact, and prevent to have a new headspace problem if I have to lap the lugs later.

For granted, i´m at your disposal to talk (by phone -0034629946654- or email) about whatever you need.

Now i have moved to Galicia, but the rifle is in Madrid, atmy parent´s house, so if it´snecessary, it could be take to A. Alvarez gun store to send it to you.

Best regards, and thank you in advance for your attention and de fixing of that issues."

They wrote me four days later, and tell me to send the rifle (via the gun store) so their tech departament could check it. So i send the rifle to Borchers.

They finally wrote me on februery 18th, more than a month later. This is the translation of the email:

"Dear sir;

Find attached the copy of the messages between borchers and remington tech. departament.

Regardlees our technician fully agree with Mr. Nickerson from remington, he has inspected and meticulously tested the rifle to check all of the problems you mentioned, finding that the rifle meets the finish and working standards.

We have tested the rifle with different bullet types (core lockt 150 and 180, qccutip and scirocco). A total of 30 rounds have beed fired, and the feeding and working have been OK. We have load and unload the rifle without firing with no problems. The headspace have been checked, founding that it´s OK.

What respect to accuracy, we haven´t check it, but being under 1,5 moa with factory ammo isn´t that bad -even it´s not excellent-. Of course, with other loads it could be better, but we can´t reccomend you to shot reloads, as no one gunmaker recommend it.

We are waiting you to tell us where to send the rifle back.

Regards"

In that "email chain", I just found one reply from Mr. Nickerson. Please, find it pasted below (please note that Mr Nickerson email was dated jannuary 8th!):